SubjectRE: Trapping all Incoming Network Packets
Date
prade@cs.sunysb.edu writes:

>To do it in user space, you have to use the raw socket interface. This
>by-passes the entire TCP/IP stack. I want to sniff the packets, and make a
>decision based on certain characteristics of each packet. So I need to
>have a filter between the IP and link-layer. Also, I do not want the
>filter to slow down traffic. Hence I believe implementing inside kernel
>will be more efficient.

I've looked at an implementation of something similar. The approach was as
follows:

* insert a "hook" into the netif_rx that would act as a filter
* use a module that:
* activates hook
* apply filtering
* sends back packets to netif_rx for normal processing
* when module is unloaded, deactivate the "hook"

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.059 / U:1.708 seconds]