SubjectRE: Trapping all Incoming Network Packets
On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Robert Pfister wrote:

> There are ways to accomplish similar things in user space. Is there some
> reason that you need to do this in the kernel? What is your end-goal with
> this?
>
> Robb

To do it in user space, you have to use the raw socket interface. This
by-passes the entire TCP/IP stack. I want to sniff the packets, and make a
decision based on certain characteristics of each packet. So I need to
have a filter between the IP and link-layer. Also, I do not want the
filter to slow down traffic. Hence I believe implementing inside kernel
will be more efficient.

-- pradipta

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.060 / U:12.340 seconds]