SubjectRe: Changing KB, MB, and GB to KiB, MiB, and GiB in
Followup to:  <>
By author: "Richard B. Johnson" <>
In newsgroup:
> Is it a standard or is it something in-process? The reason I ask is
> that neither KB nor KiB can possibly be correct.
> According to the standards, where capitalization is used:
> (1) For a proper name.
> (2) To differentiate between otherwise identical symbols.

This is obviously untrue for prefixes. Consider the prefix T (10^12),
which has no lower-case equivalent.

The unit here is B, which does conflict with the unit bel, but is
widely used to mean byte in computer contexts.

I don't like the pronunciations used in the new standard, but I think
using Ki, Mi, Gi, ... at least in writing is a good thing, to
disambiguate between binary and decimal powers. I just read them as
"binary kilobytes" etc if I need to be clear.

<> at work, <> in private!
"Unix gives you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot." <>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.086 / U:1.712 seconds]