    SubjectRe: Changing KB, MB, and GB to KiB, MiB, and GiB in
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: "Richard B. Johnson" <>
    In newsgroup:
    > Is it a standard or is it something in-process? The reason I ask is
    > that neither KB nor KiB can possibly be correct.
    > According to the standards, where capitalization is used:
    > (1) For a proper name.
    > (2) To differentiate between otherwise identical symbols.

    This is obviously untrue for prefixes. Consider the prefix T (10^12),
    which has no lower-case equivalent.

    The unit here is B, which does conflict with the unit bel, but is
    widely used to mean byte in computer contexts.

    I don't like the pronunciations used in the new standard, but I think
    using Ki, Mi, Gi, ... at least in writing is a good thing, to
    disambiguate between binary and decimal powers. I just read them as
    "binary kilobytes" etc if I need to be clear.

    <> at work, <> in private!
    "Unix gives you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot." <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.023 / U:2.364 seconds]