    SubjectRe: Changing KB, MB, and GB to KiB, MiB, and GiB in Configure.help
    Date
    Followup to:  <Pine.LNX.3.95.1020318112042.740A-100000@chaos.analogic.com>
    By author: "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com>
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > Is it a standard or is it something in-process? The reason I ask is
    > that neither KB nor KiB can possibly be correct.
    >
    > According to the standards, where capitalization is used:
    > (1) For a proper name.
    > (2) To differentiate between otherwise identical symbols.

    This is obviously untrue for prefixes. Consider the prefix T (10^12),
    which has no lower-case equivalent.

    The unit here is B, which does conflict with the unit bel, but is
    widely used to mean byte in computer contexts.

    I don't like the pronunciations used in the new standard, but I think
    using Ki, Mi, Gi, ... at least in writing is a good thing, to
    disambiguate between binary and decimal powers. I just read them as
    "binary kilobytes" etc if I need to be clear.

    -hpa
    http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <amsp@zytor.com>