SubjectRe: Problems using new Linux-2.4 bitkeeper repository.
> I think a fair question would be, is this scenario going to occur often?
> I don't know. But I'll bet you -will- see it come up again in kernel
> development. Why? We are exercising the distributed nature of the
> BitKeeper system. The system currently punishes Joe in Alaska and
> Mikhail in Russia if they independently apply the same GNU patch, and
> then later on wind up attempting to converge trees.

Indeed. So speak in file systems, because a BK package is basically a file
system, with multiple distributed instances, all of which may be out of
sync. The problems show up when the same patch is applied N times and
then comes together. The inodes collide. Right now, you think that's
the problem, and want BK to fix it. We can fix that. But that's not
the real problem. The real problem is N sets of diffs being applied
and then merged. The revision history ends up with the data inserted N
times.

I'm not sure what to do about it. I can handle the duplicate inode case
more gracefully but it's a heavy duty rewack.

We could play games where we detect the same patch inserted multiple times
and refuse to merge them. Hmm. Hmm. Not sure that helps.
--
---