    SubjectRe: VFS mediator?
    On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Jonathan Barker wrote:

    > In brief: a kernel module which "exported" VFS requests to a (specified)
    > user-space daemon would be useful. My particular application is a daemon
    > which generates files on the fly - I would like to expose this as part of the
    > filesystem. Ideally, the kernel module would deal with generation of fake
    > inode numbers etc and the user-space daemon would simply be asked to create a
    > pipe corresponding to a "filename" and (possibly) supply a directory tree.

    I have experimented with using NFS for that -- start a local daemon that
    exports a virtual filesystem and mount that. The great bonus is that it's
    platform independent -- it works on Solaris, HP-UX and even Ultrix just as
    well. Other projects have become more important, however, and I haven't
    finished it. If you're interested, drop me a line.

    Simon

    --
    GPG public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
    Fingerprint: 040E B5F7 84F1 4FBC CEAD ADC6 18A0 CC8D 5706 A4B4