    SubjectRe: IO delay, port 0x80, and BIOS POST codes
    On 14 Mar 2002, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

    > Date: 14 Mar 2002 13:57:40 -0800
    > From: H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com>
    > To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
    > Subject: Re: IO delay, port 0x80, and BIOS POST codes
    >
    > Followup to: <Pine.LNX.4.33.0203141318130.9855-100000@penguin.transmeta.com>
    > By author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
    > In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
    > >
    > > Port ED is fine for a BIOS, which (by definition) knows what the
    > > motherboard devices are, and thus knows that ED cannot be used by
    > > anything.
    > >
    > > But it _is_ an unused port, and that's exactly the kind of thing that
    > > might be used sometime in the future. Remember the port 22/23 brouhaha
    > > with Cyrix using it for their stuff, and later Intel getting into the fray
    > > too?
    > >
    > > So the fact that ED works doesn't mean that _stays_ working.
    > >

    > It is, in fact, broken on several systems -- I tried ED in SYSLINUX
    > for a while, and it broke things for people.

    It does work on many, in fact, we used on a Crusoe based platform
    as well as the other x86s

    Let's make it a configurable kernel debug/hacking option else
    we have the added burden of chasing down a common address.

    Johnh

    > -hpa
    > --
    > <hpa@transmeta.com> at work, <hpa@zytor.com> in private!
    > "Unix gives you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot."
    > http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <amsp@zytor.com>
    > -

    John Heil
    South Coast Software
    Custom systems software for UNIX and IBM MVS mainframes
    1-714-774-6952
    johnhscs@sc-software.com
    http://www.sc-software.com