    SubjectIO delay, port 0x80, and BIOS POST codes

    the BIOS on our machines (Phoenix) uses IO-port 0x80 for storing
    POST codes, not only during sytem startup, but also for messages
    generated during SMM (system management mode) operation.
    I have been told other BIOSs do the same.

    Unfortunately we can't read this information because Linux uses
    port 80 as "dummy" port for delay operations. (outb_p and friends,
    actually there seem to be a more hard-coded references to port
    0x80 in the code).

    It seems this problem was always there, just nobody took notice of it yet
    (at least in our company). Sometimes people wondered about the weird POST
    codes displayed in the LCD panel, but who cares once the machine is up...

    Would it be too outrageous to ask that this port number be changed, or
    made configurable?

    Martin Wilck Phone: +49 5251 8 15113
    Fujitsu Siemens Computers Fax: +49 5251 8 20409
    Heinz-Nixdorf-Ring 1
    D-33106 Paderborn

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:21    [W:0.027 / U:14.680 seconds]