    From: "Linus Torvalds" <>

    > > 3) There should be capability to optionally install filter the raw
    > > device command interface. The filter is built into the kernel at
    > > compile-time, but can also be disabled at boot time.
    > This is the part I really don't like.
    > Thinking like a sysadmin, I want to be able to run programs that I would
    > not allow my users to run or want to be run accidentally. And I do _not_
    > want to reboot my kernel just because one of my mirrored disks died, I
    > hot-replaced it, and I notice that I need to upgrade the firmware on the
    > thing to make it play nice with the other disks in the array.
    > See? A setup that either allows everything or nothing is fundamentally
    > flawed in this kind of situation - suddenly I as a sysadmin cannot do
    > something without bringing the machine down. Which makes all the hotplug
    > interfaces useless - or then I as a sysadmin just have to leave a kernel
    > in place that allows the kinds of raw command accesses that I am so scared
    > of.

    Good example. (I even implemented something of that sort for downloading
    new firmware for Maxtor SCSI drives back when the 1G Panther was a brandy
    spanky new thing. I never distributed it and have no plans of doing so.
    Amigans as a rule are not good candidates for having such code on hand. The
    average Linux SysAdmin should be a few dB smarter and more careful. I don't
    think it would be a good thing to force multiple reboots in the situation
    you cite. And it does happen.)

    {^_^} Joanne Dow

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.023 / U:7.828 seconds]