    SubjectRe: [patch] My AMD IDE driver, v2.7
    On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Erik Andersen wrote:

    > On Mon Mar 11, 2002 at 10:10:36PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > > 1) There should be a raw device command interface (not ATA or SCSI specific)
    > Hmm. If such a generic low-level raw device layer were to be
    > implemented (presumably as the foundation for the block layer), I
    > expect the interface would be somthing like the cdrom layer, and
    > would abstract out all the normal things that raw mass-storage
    > devices can do.
    > But the minute such a layer is in place, people will begin going
    > straight to the sub-low-level raw device layers so they can use
    > all the exciting new extended features of their XP370000 quantum
    > storage array which needs the special frob-electrons command to
    > make it work...

    Given that this has not happened with sg, nor with people using the
    sg+ide-scsi, I think you would have to provide a good reason why this
    would happen. The most likely path would be a separate driver or enhanced
    IDE driver patch. User programs generally do read, write and seek, not
    ioctl level hacking.

    bill davidsen <>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.032 / U:18.568 seconds]