       From: Richard Gooch <>
    Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 17:55:44 -0700

    David S. Miller writes:
    > The hardware is not capable of doing it, due to bugs in the hw
    > checksum implementation of the sk98 chipset. They aren't being
    > "slow" they just can't possibly implement it for you.

    So what is currently the best combination of gige card/driver/cost?
    What do you recommend to the budget-conscious?

    I can only tell you what I know performance wise about cards,
    and currently it looks like:

    1) Intel E1000
    2) Tigon2, aka. Acenic
    3) SysKonnect sk98, but has broken TX checksums. If it had
    working TX checksums it would be in 2nd place instead of Acenic.
    This hw bug is essentially why Acenics were used for all the
    TUX benchmarks runs instead of SysKonnect cards.
    4) Tigon3, aka. bcm57xx

    This may surprise some people, but frankly I think the Tigon3's PCI
    dma engine is junk based upon my current knowledge of the card. It is
    always possible I may find out something new which kills this
    perception I have of the card, but we'll see...

    All the cards listed above have good GPL'd drivers available.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.023 / U:0.692 seconds]