    SubjectRe: [bk patch] Make cardbus compile in -pre4
    On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 12:29:20AM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
    > Yes, that would be my thought as well. Sadly, running the command
    >
    > bk send -d -r+ -wgzip_uu -
    >
    > does not work as I would _hope_ it would, namely putting a regular context
    > diff at the beginning of the email, and gzip_uu for only the CSET.

    Whoops, that's a bug. Type "bk sendbug" and send us a bug report, we'll
    fix it. Sorry about that.

    > > But this is still a trial run of BK, so who knows what will wind up to
    > > be the best policy for casual submitters.
    > >
    > > And there's nothing wrong at all with sending GNU patches...
    >
    > Oh, I agree that for people without BK they can keep sending patches.

    It occurs to me that there is no reason you can't generate a regular
    patch from BK and mail it to the list w/ the changeset comments. That
    keeps all the non-BK users perfectly happy, nothing has changed for
    them and they can use BK or not as they see fit. In addition, you can
    send off a BK patch to Linus and/or stuff a patch into a publicly
    available BK tree and point him at it.

    If you all can reach any sort of concensus on what is a pleasant patch
    format for non-BK users, just tell me, and I'll make sure BK can generate
    that sort of patch easily.

    > This might also be possible if BK could export/import a whole changeset
    > in patch form, plus some magic stuff at the beginning/end (gzip_uu) which
    > had all of the BK metadata in it, but I don't know if that is possible or
    > desirable.

    Well, send -d is essentially that - it's two patches, a GNU patch and a
    BK patch. It was a mistake for us to wrap the whole thing, we should
    leave the regular diffs alone and just wrap the BK stuff. We can do
    that.
    --
    ---