Subjectssh primer (was Re: pull vs push (was Re: [bk patch] Make cardbus compile in -pre4))
Herbert Xu wrote:

> Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com> wrote:
>
> > This is my problem. You could help if you could tell me what exactly
> > are the magic wands to wave such that you can ssh in without typing
> > a password. I know about ssh-agent but that doesn't help for this,
>
> Setup your key with an empty passphrase should do the trick.

Ug. no. That is way way insecure.

Most modern distros have an ssh-agent running as a parent of all
X-spawned processed (including processes spawned by xterms). So, one
only needs to run
ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_dsa ~/.ssh/identity
once, and input your password once. After that, no passwords are
needed.

For those with multiple peer shells and no X-parented ssh-agent, you
will need to run ssh-agent ONCE, like so:

ssh-agent > ~/tmp/ssh-agent.out

and then for each shell, you need to run:

eval `cat ~/tmp/ssh-agent.out`

and then run the ssh-add command from above.

--
Jeff Garzik | "I went through my candy like hot oatmeal
Building 1024 | through an internally-buttered weasel."