    SubjectRe: Machines misreporting Bogomips
    On 31 Jan 2002 at 17:55, Greg Boyce wrote:

    > kernel folk,
    > I've got a strange issue that I've been struggling to find the solution to
    > for some time now.
    > I work in a group that assists in the managing of large numbers of
    > deployed linux boxes running variants of the 2.2 kernel on them. The
    > machines themselves are all pretty standard. There are slight variances
    > on vendors, cpu speeds, etc., but they're all running from the same
    > motherboards.
    > Every once in a while we come across single machines which are running a
    > lot slower than they should be, and are misreporting their speed in
    > bogomips under /proc/cpuinfo. Reinstalling the OS and changing versions
    > of the kernel don't appear to affect the machines themselves at all.
    > I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide me with a starting
    > point to hunt this down. The only solution we had found in the past was
    > to replace the machines, but some of them are located out of the country
    > and that would be expensive.

    It seems to me that there was an issue with timers not being set up
    properly, or changing their settings during startup, which could cause a
    machine to behave like it was running slow. On more recent 2.2.x kernels
    you would see a line like 'timer configuration lost' in dmesg, which meant
    that the computer had the problem, and a workaround was being implimented.

    On kernels that didn't detect the timer problem you could sometimes boot
    with no problem, but other times you'd get a kernel that seemed to run very

    I don't remember if it affected the bogomips reporting, but I would think
    that it could.

    BTW, I think that the kernels I had the problems with were pre 2.2.17,
    though I'm not positive. 2.2.20 and 2.2.19 do not exhibit the problem. i.e.
    they detect the problem and work around it.

    / \ /
    / \ \ /
    / \_/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.025 / U:74.068 seconds]