SubjectRe: How to check the kernel compile options ?
On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:12:12AM +0100, you [Thomas Capricelli] wrote:

> > Anyway, I think these kind of issues are solveable if only anybody agrees
> > this is a good idea...
>
> I for sur agree. Especially if we consider the practical approach :
> Not all patches are required to add the file under linux/patches/,
> but good ones will
> Probability that such thing happen is almost 0, big kernel guys
> aren't even reading this thread :(. I won't loose my time trying ot make
> this happen as they wont even consider reading about such things. too bad
> :(

Yes. The problem is that Linux/Alan/Marcelo or who ever maintains proper
kernel trees aren't interested - the /usr/src/linux/patches stuff is only on
the way for them. (Although they could easily rm -rf /usr/src/linux/patches
before making a release if they please.)

This idea is mostly applicable to external patches not ment for inclusion
(yet).

Maybe if there was a well-defined framework, we could persuade some of the
most influential patch maintainers (Rik van Riel, Robert Love, Andre Hedrick
etc..) use it. Then maybe, big maybe, it might catch fire.

-- v --

v@iki.fi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.146 / U:2.668 seconds]