SubjectRe: linux-2.5.4-pre1 - bitkeeper testing
Date
On Wednesday 06 February 2002 10:17 am, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:
> > The long-range plan, and the real payoff, comes if main developers start
> > using bk too, which should make syncing a lot easier. That will take some
> > time, I suspect.
>
> Do you think that at some point, using BitKeeper will become mandatory
> for subsystem maintainers? ("mandatory" in the sense that
> non-BitKeeper input is dealt with in a less timely fashion, for
> example.)

The hierarchy seems to be two levels deep now. Linus doesn't accept patches
from all 300 maintainers anyway, he has a group of a dozen or so lieutenants.
(Andre Hedrick has to send code to Jens Axboe, for example, before Linus
will take it.)

Being a lieutenant would have to require bitkeeper before simply being a
maintainer would. I doubt it would ever work its way to simple developers
submitting to maintainers.

(This is, of course, just my take on things...)

Rob

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.086 / U:3.528 seconds]