    SubjectTulip Driver hangs system in vanilla 2.4.17
    I have recently run into a problem with the tulip driver on my laptop.

    It loads fine at first, and I can get connected to a network, etc. When
    I reboot the machine, it hangs when it tries to load the tulip module.
    This only happens with a warm reboot, not a cold boot. It is quite
    repeatable. If I power off completely, there is no problem. If I
    comment the tulip driver out of my startup scripts, there is no problem.
    If I reboot, it hangs.

    This does not happen with the 2.4.5 kernel, only the 2.4.17. These are
    the only 2 I have tried.

    I have found that if I bring down my ethernet interface and unload the
    tulip module before the warm reboot, the system will not lock when it
    comes back up, so I have added the neccessary commands to my shutdown
    scripts. However, it seems to me like a kernel bug that should probably
    be fixed.

    My specific hardware/software config is:

    HP Pavillion XH555 laptop with:
    1 Ghz Athlon 4
    512 MB RAM
    ESS sound/modem (sound using Maestro3 driver)
    Accton ethernet (using tulip driver)

    Software:
    Slackware 8.0, kernel 2.4.17
    using ACPI, tulip, maestro3, ext3, framebuffer, etc.

    If there's any more info that would help, please let me know.

    -Chris

    PS This is the second time I've posted this, so sorry for the
    repetition. It went seemingly unnoticed the first time, and I have not
    heard anything else about this apparent bug. Speaking of which, is
    there a place to get a changelog for just certain parts of the kernel?
    (ie a specific driver).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:23    [W:0.024 / U:64.180 seconds]