SubjectRe: How to check the kernel compile options ?
On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 05:01:39PM +0100, David Balazic wrote:
> Hi!
>
> This problem again :-)
>
> I purchase/download a program for linux.
> It says it requires certain kernel features, for example :
> CONFIG_PROC_FS,CONFIG_NET,CONFIG_INET

If it wants THOSE, it is asking for wrong abstraction layer
information.

No userspace program (beside of special sysadmin tools) should
be poking into PROC_FS. The NET interface abstraction is already
wrapped inside libc.

> How can I figure out in 5 minutes, without a kernel hacker, if
> my linux system has the correct settings ?

Good software gives clear diagnostics if some necessary facility
is missing at runtime.

> This is a real life question, probably more suitable to ask
> on some distributions mail list, but I thought I'll start here.
>
> TIA,
> david
> --
> David Balazic