SubjectRe: [RFC] x86 ELF bootable kernels/Linux booting Linux/LinuxBIOS
Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> O.k. I have been thinking about this some more, and I have come up with a couple
> alternate of solutions.
>
> The simplest is the observation that right now 10MB is about what it
> takes to hold every Linux driver out there. So all you really need is
> a 16MB system, to avoid a device probing loader. And probably
> noticeably less than that. The only systems I see having real
> problems are old systems where device enumeration is not reliable, and
> require human intervention anyway.
>
> A second is to just make certain there is some kind of fallback path
> so if the image is too large have a way to load a smaller one. When
> you consider that older systems had less memory it has a reasonable
> chance of working properly.
>
> My final and favorite is to take an ELF image, define a couple of ELF
> note types, and add a bunch those notes saying which pieces are
> hardware dependent. So a smart ELF loader can prune the image as it
> is loaded, and a stupid one will just attempt to load everything. And
> with the setup for this not being bootloader specific it will probably
> encourage device pruning loaders.
>
> Am I being optimistic or are there any pressing cases for callbacks to
> the firmware?

Ok, now let me ask the question that hopefully should be obvious to
everyone now...

WHAT'S THE POINT?

All you're doing is an awfully complex song and dance to *avoid*
implementing a solution that, while imperfect, is thoroughly established
and has worked for 20 years.

-hpa

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:23    [W:1.181 / U:0.040 seconds]