    SubjectRe: [RFC] x86 ELF bootable kernels/Linux booting Linux/LinuxBIOS
    Eric W. Biederman wrote:

    > O.k. I have been thinking about this some more, and I have come up with a couple
    > alternate of solutions.
    > The simplest is the observation that right now 10MB is about what it
    > takes to hold every Linux driver out there. So all you really need is
    > a 16MB system, to avoid a device probing loader. And probably
    > noticeably less than that. The only systems I see having real
    > problems are old systems where device enumeration is not reliable, and
    > require human intervention anyway.
    > A second is to just make certain there is some kind of fallback path
    > so if the image is too large have a way to load a smaller one. When
    > you consider that older systems had less memory it has a reasonable
    > chance of working properly.
    > My final and favorite is to take an ELF image, define a couple of ELF
    > note types, and add a bunch those notes saying which pieces are
    > hardware dependent. So a smart ELF loader can prune the image as it
    > is loaded, and a stupid one will just attempt to load everything. And
    > with the setup for this not being bootloader specific it will probably
    > encourage device pruning loaders.
    > Am I being optimistic or are there any pressing cases for callbacks to
    > the firmware?

    Ok, now let me ask the question that hopefully should be obvious to
    everyone now...

    All you're doing is an awfully complex song and dance to *avoid*
    implementing a solution that, while imperfect, is thoroughly established
    and has worked for 20 years.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:23    [W:0.027 / U:53.724 seconds]