SubjectRe: question about running program from a RAM disk
Date
Followup to:  <01bc01c1c0a6$a3c315e0$bb3147ab@amer.cisco.com>
By author: "Hua Zhong" <hzhong@cisco.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> In the final system we are going to turn off swap. I had dreamed that Linux
> could directly use the page frame on the RAM disk instead of doing another
> copy :-)

However, the reply you got was completely irrelevant; he didn't answer
your question at all (even though he probably thought.)

The answer to your question is that a ramdisk lives directly in the
block cache and does not have to be copied.

You may want to consider migrating to a ramfs or tmpfs, which lives
directly in the *page* cache and therefore reduces overhead further.

-hpa
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <amsp@zytor.com>