SubjectRe: ext3 and undeletion
On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 09:53:08PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Followup to: <02022518330103.01161@grumpersII>
> By author: Tom Rauschenbach <tom@rauschenbach.mv.com>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> > > Yep, more portable.
> >
> > But it only works if everything get linked with the new library.
> >

> What's a lot worse is that the kernel cannot chose to garbage-collect
> it. One reason to put undelete in the kernel is that that files in
> limbo can be reclaimed as the disk space is needed for other users,
> and you don't risk getting ENOSPC due to the disk being full with
> ghosts.

True, and it could to tricks like listing space used for undelete as "free"
in addition to dynamic garbage collection.

Though, with a daemon checking the dirs often, or using Daniel's idea of a
socket between unlink() in glibc and an undelete daemon could work quite
similairly.

Also, there wouldn't be any interaction with filesystem internals, and
userspace would probably work better with non-posix type filesystems (vfat,
hfs, etc) too.

IOW, there seems to be little gain to having an kernelspace solution.

Mike

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.104 / U:6.496 seconds]