    SubjectRe: Flash Back -- kernel 2.1.111
    On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 09:15:06PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > The previous code didn't distinguish the bus speed between different
    > > busses and it doesn't do now as well.
    > > It could be really helpfull to look at the patch actually. Don't you
    > > think?
    >
    > I know what would actually help here, (the other code wasn't broken IMHO)
    > and would clean this up properly for not just IDE. Add a bus_speed field
    > to the struct pci_bus - that is where the info belongs and its the platform
    > specific bus code that can find the bus speed out (if anyone)

    I have some experimental IDE based code which can detect the PCI bus
    speed by doing some IDE transfers and measuring the time it takes. It
    isn't 100% reliable, though. I haven't found any other way to detect PCI
    clock reliably, unfortunately it cannot be safely guessed from the CPU
    clock or FSB clock or anything.

    --
    Vojtech Pavlik
    SuSE Labs