SubjectRe: 2.5.5-pre1 rmmod usb-uhci hangs
Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> remarked:
> These patches will not apply for the 2.4 tree, even if you tried :)
>
> What problems are you having with 2.4.18-rc1 and previous? Any oops
> messages?

Hi,

Well, basically if I use usb-uhci instead of uhci, the computer
locks during the shutdown process. I believe I've used the stock
Mandrake 8.1 kernel as well as 2.4.17 and 2.4.18-rc1 with similar
results. Mandrake even seems to make a note of the issue:

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/errata.php3

"Error scenario: The computer locks up when shutting down or when
stopping the usb service.
Why: In certain cases, the usb-uhci module is broken for some usb
devices.
Solution: Modify your /etc/modules.conf file and change the line
"alias usb-interface usb-uhci" to "alias usb-interface uhci". The
change will take effect after the next shutdown and will prevent the
usb service from locking up the computer."

I have a Brother HL-1450 Postscript printer and an HP Scanjet 6300C
attached, FWIW.

The reason I'd like to switch back to usb-uhci instead of uhci is
twfold: Vmware seems to want to only use usb-uhci and not uhci
(dummies!). And uhci seems to be unable to get the scanner going
such that it doesn't "stutter" all the way down the page. usb-uhci
seems to be able to keep up so that it just sweeps on down the page.

I saw the thread on usb-uhci on 2.5, and it looked so similar that I
(incorrectly) assumed them to be one and the same problem.

Thanks,
Dan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:20    [W:1.826 / U:0.036 seconds]