SubjectRe: your mail

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Rusty Russell wrote:

> In message <Pine.GSO.4.21.0202242054410.1329-100000@weyl.math.psu.edu> you writ
> e:
> >

> > On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Rusty Russell wrote:
> > > First, fd passing sucks: you can't leave an fd somewhere and wait for
> > > someone to pick it up, and they vanish when you exit. Secondly, you
> >
> > Yes, you can. Please, RTFS - what is passed is not a descriptor, it's
> > struct file *. As soon as datagram is sent, descriptors are resolved and
> > after that point descriptor table of sender (or, for that matter, survival
> > of sender) doesn't matter.
>
> Please explain how I leave a fd somewhere for other processes to grab
> it.
>
> And then please explain how they get the fd after I've exited.
>
> Al, you are one of the most unpleasant people to deal with on this
> list. This is *not* an honor, and I beg you to consider a different
> approach in future correspondence.

Honour or not, in this case your complaint is hardly deserved. To
compress the above a bit:

you: <false statement>
me: RTFS. <short description of the reasons why statement is wrong; further
details could be obtained by reading TFS>

As for your question, SCM_RIGHTS datagram can easily outlive the sending
process. You will need a helper process (either per-meeting point or
system-wide) to avoid GC killing the thing, but that's it.

Writing such helper is left as an exercise to reader - it _is_ trivial.
To put fd(s):
connect to (name of AF_UNIX socket)
sendmsg to it; no OOB data, one byte of data (non-0)
form an SCM_RIGHTS datagram with fds in question
sendmsg it to the same socket.
close the socket
In helper:
listen on (name)
repeat:
accept connection
read one byte
if it's non-zero
put fd of connection into a list
goto repeat
else
take first fd from list
form an SCM_RIGHTS datagram with that fd
send it into the new connection
close fd
close connection
goto repeat
To get fd(s):
connect ....
recvmsg and pick fd from the message
close connection
recvmsg from fd and pick the set of fds from the message
close fd

End of story. In real-life situation you will want to throttle in helper,
etc., but in any case main loop is ~20 lines of code.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.057 / U:0.532 seconds]