    SubjectRe: Flash Back -- kernel 2.1.111

    Obvious you have a bug up the backside, so I am totally hands off until
    you and Martin are done. See you back at 2.5.10. I will not comment on
    the changes because you want something and I do not have the timetable to
    deliver and you are upset.

    I am more concerned with the stablity of the core of ATA/ATAPI and next in
    queue was to address the entire ATAPI data-phases issues that appear to
    have some problems.

    It is clear you want a cosmetic change and I am not ready to make one.

    Therefore I will be patient and wait for you get the facelift you want and
    then see what needs to be salvaged afterwards.

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > >
    > > Martin,
    > >
    > > please tell us up-front if you are able to make Linux work
    > > with 48-bit IDE stuff so Linux is able to talk to drives
    > > larger than 137 GB.
    > >
    > > If you're not, please stop pissing off Andre and work
    > > together with him ...
    > Rik, get off the high horse.
    > 2.5.x already supports 48-bit LBA addressing.
    > And quite frankly, it's not Martin who cannot work with Andre, it's Andre
    > who so far has shown himself _totally_ unable to work with anybody at all.
    > Whenever somebody comes and even tries to do trivial and obviously correct
    > cleanups that do not actually change any semantics at all, Andre stands
    > out and shouts bloody murder from the rooftops, completely ignoring the
    > fact that he hasn't even looked at the patches.
    > All the crap Andre has shouted about "IDE mess" and "timing changes" is
    > total and utter CRAP. None of the patches I've seen has changed _anything_
    > but cleanups, or removed _any_ features.
    > Guys, you need to realize that Martin is NOT the bad guy here. The problem
    > is not Martin, the problem is that Andre cannot take any level or
    > criticism, and in the five years or so that he has been maintainer I have
    > yet to see a _single_ person who has been able to work together with him
    > (as opposed to some people who have been able to maintain their own
    > subdrivers _despite_ him).
    > Andre, your threats about not wanting to maintain 2.5.x are just a symptom
    > of this inability to accept the fact that other people actually do know
    > what they are doing, even if what they are doing is only cleanups with no
    > semantic changes.
    > Rik, _look_ at the patches, instead of just taking Andre's word for it.
    > Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.023 / U:64.480 seconds]