SubjectRe: Connecting through parallel port
On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, John Alvord wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:39:36 -0500 (EST), Bill Davidsen
> <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:

> >There was a protocol called PLIP which did just what you want. I've used
> >it many times for laptop install (Patrick even fixed it in Slackware at my
> >request).
> >
> >Unfortunately, while the feature is still in recent 2.[45] kernels, it
> >appears to be broken. The last laptop I installed needed a network card to
> >get working.

> This was interesting when NIC (network interface cards) cost $100.
> Nowadays, they are a lot less costly and interest in the PLIP solution
> has evaporated.

Unless cards now come with their own slot, this is still very useful. A
system without parallel is very unusual, while one without network is far
more common, and one without a place to even add a network is not that
hard to find. While a home user with only a few systems which he can
configure at will has no trouble adding a NIC, business use in many places
doesn't work that way, and honestly I have a hard time telling someone to
buy NICs, cables, a hub, etc, when a $7 cable will work between systems
with a functional PL/IP kernel.

Considering the low use things supported in the kernel, I see no reason to
think PL/IP is less so. Not a lot of TokenRing out there these days, even
in an IBM shop;-)

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc