    SubjectRe: ioremap()/PCI sickness in 2.4.18-rc2
    On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 07:44:58PM +0100, Steffen Persvold wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, David S. Miller wrote:
    >
    > > From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com>
    > > Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 12:26:12 -0500
    > >
    > > type abuse aside, and alpha bugs aside, this looks ok... what is the
    > > value of as->msize?
    > >
    > > Jeff and Jeff, the problem is one of two things:
    > >
    > > 1) when you have ~2GB of memory the vmalloc pool is very small
    > > and this it the same place ioremap allocations come from
    > >
    > > 2) the BIOS or Linus is not assigning resources of the device
    > > properly, or it simple can't because the available PCI MEM space
    > > with this much memory is too small
    > >
    > > I note that one of the resources of the card is 16MB or so.
    >
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > There is actually no need to have all three regions mapped at all times is
    > there Jeff ? In the Scali ICM driver we actually doesn't ioremap() the
    > prefetchable space at all because this is done with the mmap() method to
    > the userspace clients. If you have a kernel space client though ioremap()
    > is used, but only the parts of it that is needed (based on the number of
    > nodes in the cluser and the shared memory size per node).
    >
    > Regards,

    I am not using the adapters in user space, I am using them in kernel
    space with a distributed RAID agent and file system. This is a general
    issue with Hugo's SISCI and IRM drivers and Linux. They all need to work
    in every configuration. If it works with less than 1 GB is should work
    with > 1GB of memory.

    I am looking through get_vm_area() since this is where the bug is. Your
    Scali drivers are not the Dolphin released IRM/SISCI but custom drivers
    you guys sell with **YOUR** software versions, and they are far from
    general purpose.

    Jeff