    SubjectRe: SIOCDEVICE ?
    Jeff Garzik <garzik@havoc.gtf.org> :
    > On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 03:44:24PM +0100, Francois Romieu wrote:
    > > Your patch doesn't apply against 2.5.3. I did a quick update and noticed the
    > > patch is the sole user of SIOCDEVICE (with dscc4) and SIOCDEVPRIVATE.
    >
    > SIOCDEVPRIVATE is verboten in 2.5.x, it doesn't pass through ioctl
    > translation layers like that which exists on sparc64 and ia64; they are
    > untyped awful interfaces.
    >
    > The correction would perhaps define a real command as needed...

    Yes, I've seen the big fat comment in include/linux/sockios.h for
    SIOCDEVPRIVATE. I can only infer that SIOCDEVICE isn't allowed any more
    as it seems it sneakly escaped from the kernel sources.

    <executive summary of Krzysztof Halasa's update>
    The struct hdlc_device_struct offers under an union the protocol specific
    (raw hdlc, frame relay, cisco, pppsync (1)) parameters of the interface.
    Those are set from userspace through ifreq.ifr_settings.data and an
    ifreq.ifr_settings.type of IF_PROTO_{HDLC/CISCO/FR/X25},... resp. which
    specifies the size of the expected data (2).
    You retrieve it from userspace with IF_GET_PROTO.
    Once an interface is configured for frame-relay, pvc creation/deletion is
    done with IF_PROTO_FR_{ADD/DEL}_PVC.

    (1) Let's forget pppsync and it's revolting games with net_device.priv for now.
    (2) ifr->ifr_settings.data_length checking duplication should be avoided imho.

    </summary>

    As this question was postponed until 2.5, I'd like someone to state what the
    accepted api will be.

    Let's hope it's not too much on-topic. :o)

    --
    Ueimor