SubjectRe: Q: use of new modules in old kernel
On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 09:02, Tobias Wollgam wrote:
> how is it possible to use modules of newer kernels in an old kernel
> system?
>
> To use new drivers, we want not recompile the kernel.
>
> I tried to load the module 8139too from 2.4.17 into a 2.4.9 kernel with
> modprobe, but there are many unresolved symbols.
>
> The flag "Set version information on all module symbols" is set.

Note that you will basically never be able to just move the compiled module
from one kernel version to another and expect it to work. At the very
minimum you should copy the needed files from the new kernel source into
the old kernel source and recompile. Practically, this may also not work
(depending on the driver and the kernel) because while there is often
backwards compatibility in newer kernels, the newer driver code may not
compile (properly) with the older kernel (it depends on what part of the
kernel the driver is in, though).

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger