SubjectRe: readl/writel and memory barriers

Jesse> Making a variable volatile doesn't guarantee that the
Jesse> compiler won't reorder references to it, AFAIK. And on some
Jesse> platforms, even uncached I/O references aren't necessarily
Jesse> ordered.

It certainly does for on ia64-compliant system. Check section 9.3
"Multi-threaded Code" in the "Itanium Software Conventions and Runtime
Architecture manual".

Jesse> To avoid the overhead of having I/O flushed on every memory
Jesse> barrier and readX/writeX operation, we've introduced mmiob()
Jesse> on ia64, which explicity orders I/O space accesses. Some
Jesse> ports have chosen to take the performance hit in every
Jesse> readX/writeX, memory barrier, and spinlock however
Jesse> (e.g. PPC64, MIPS).

I think this is a bit of a different problem. On non-NUMA platforms,
the performance hit of enforcing order is not huge. Basically, as
long as the CPU issues the accesses in order, you'll be fine.

Now, with NUMA platforms, where the chipsets/switch may re-order
accesses, the performance hit will be much bigger, so the old scheme
may not be sufficient.

Jesse> Is this a reasonable approach? Is it acceptable to have a
Jesse> seperate barrier operation for I/O space? If so, perhaps
Jesse> other archs would be willing to add mmiob() ops?

I'm no NUMA expert, but my guess is that nobody will want to go
through all the existing drivers to change them to use mmiob(). For
new drivers, it might be OK.

--david

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.141 / U:0.256 seconds]