SubjectRe: [RFC] Page table sharing
On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > >
> > > At that point you might as well make the TLB shootdown global (ie you keep
> > > track of a mask of CPU's whose TLB's you want to kill, and any pmd that
> > > has count > 1 just makes that mask be "all CPU's").
> >
> > How do we know when to do the global tlb flush?
>
> See above.
>
> Basically, the algorithm is:
>
> invalidate_cpu_mask = 0;
>
> .. for each page swapped out ..
>
> pte = ptep_get_and_clear(ptep);
> save_pte_and_mm(pte_page(pte));
> mask = mm->cpu_vm_mask;
> if (page_count(pmd_page) > 1)
> mask = ~0UL;
> invalidate_cpu_mask |= mask;
>
> and then at the end you just do
>
> flush_tlb_cpus(invalidate_cpu_mask);
> for_each_page_saved() {
> free_page(page);
> }
>
> (yeah, yeah, add cache coherency etc).

It's a little worse than this, I think. Propagating pte_dirty(pte) to
set_page_dirty(page) cannot be done until after the flush_tlb_cpus, if
the ptes are writable: and copy_page_range is not setting "cow", so not
write protecting, when it's a shared writable mapping. Easy answer is
to scrap "cow" there and always do the write protection; but I doubt
that's the correct answer. swap_out could keep an array of pointers to
ptes, to propagate dirty after flushing TLB and before freeing pages,
but that's not very pretty.

Hugh

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.173 / U:0.240 seconds]