SubjectRe: jiffies rollover, uptime etc.
On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> > counter, and I'm currently digging into that area... Stuff like a pc
> > speaker driver going wild bothers me a bit more...
>
> Fix the speaker driver I guess is the answer. It shouldnt have done that.

Well, yeah.. So if its just the speaker driver I might sleep better
now :)

> > Could anybody perhaps tell me why he/she doesn't consider this a
> > problem? And is there a fundamental problem with solving this in
> > general? (I do see a problem with defining jiffies long long on x86,
> > because it might break a lot of things and probably wouldnt perform
> > as often as jiffies is touched... And you might sense I haven't
> > been into kernel hacking much...)
>
> Counting in long long is expensive and the drivers are meant to all use
> roll over safe compares

Yes, that's what I thought of, long long being too expensive. And
since jiffies doesn't seem to have a problem with rolling over, I
might try to hack the uptime-releated code a bit for myself... If
nobody isn't going like "DONT! THAT'S A VERY BAD IDEA FOR THIS AND
THIS REASON!" :)

Thanks

Oliver

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.580 / U:0.080 seconds]