    SubjectRe: Possible breakthrough in the CML2 logjam?
    On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 12:16:34PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
    > Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com>:
    > > > I need you to tell Linus that your concerns have been met
    > > > and sponsor CML2 to go in, so I can stop perpetually re-fighting old
    > > > battles.
    > >
    > > That's a fine thing for anyone and everyone to say *after* they have
    > > used the system and like it.
    > >
    > > If you are asking for a blessing in advance, which is how I read that,
    > > I would think there is zero chance of that happening, it's not how work
    > > is done on the kernel.
    >
    > We're talking about design objections here. Specific objections to actual
    > CML2 bugs, including rulebase and UI bugs, are a different level. What
    > I am asking is if Jeff will bless the *architecture* provided the global-
    > dependency issue is met.

    See your quote above which contains "and sponsor CML2 to go in". Code is
    what goes in. Having the right architecture is great, we all agree, but
    what goes in is code. So your question above is basically "if I do this
    will you pressure Linus to accept my *code*". The answer to that should
    always be "no". You're trying to do an end run around the process. The
    process here is to let people see the changes, try the changes, refine
    the changes, and when they are ready, Linus accepts the changes. Nowhere
    in that process is any deal making. What you are doing is a lot like the
    skating judges, making deals. Your code should go in evaluated on its
    merits. That's the beauty of the system. It doesn't matter who *you*
    are, the code is the only thing. So you can be universally loved and
    your code might not make it in. You can be universally hated, and your
    code can make it in. That's a pretty cool system and I'd suggest that
    you stop trying to work around it and just make your code be something
    that people want. Then it will go in. No deals necessary.
    --
    ---