    SubjectWhat? Clock Slowdown Again?

    ==== Problem One ====
    Hi all. I started noticing the "clock slowdown" problem when I started with
    2.4.x series of kernels, and described it in a past post. In summary, under
    framebuffer mode, when the interrupts are disabled, they don't get re-enabled
    quickly enough to make sure the system clock keeps up. I was told about a
    patch that would help to solve this, I applied said patch (2.4.3) then, when
    the kernel updated to 2.4.11, I was pleased to see the Andrew Morton patch
    integrated into the kernel.

    However, I'm noticing the slowdown again, though not to the same extent. I
    took the kernel up to 2.4.17 but I need to do some further tests to see what
    else I can ferret out.

    ==== Problem Two ====

    Also, what are the plans for replacing the virt_to_bus / bus_to_virt
    functions? The sourcecode basically says to use pci_map functions, but, being
    almost a kernel illiterate (I know how to compile, apply patches, and not much
    else) I don't know how to get started on converting. I thought that
    pci_resource_{start,end,len} may also be needed too. Am I right?

    Again, thanks for all your time. I read KT and found out about why my 2.5.4
    kernel refused to compile, fixed that, fixed another couple of things, then
    came up against this bus_to_virt problem, which I'd like to get fixed before I
    go anywhere with 2.5 - understandable as I just aout live for my 160x64 text
    screen 8-) I use a VESA framebuffer, as the SiS framebuffer code hasn't been
    extended to include the 5597/5598 yet.

    Must go...now I can FINALLY send this off, six months after originally
    composeng it.

    Regards, The Viking
    (Please, email me as well, the list takes a VERY long time to read, and I
    might miss your post...)

    --
    /| _,.:*^*:., |\ Cheers from the Viking family,
    | |_/' viking@ `\_| | including Pippin, our cat
    | flying-brick | $FunnyMail Bilbo : Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    \_.caverock.net.nz_/ 5.39 in LOTR : Let others follow it who can!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.025 / U:1.112 seconds]