    SubjectRe: Disgusted with kbuild developers
    On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

    > Dave Jones <>:
    > > The point being made is that you constantly refuse to listen.
    > > You ask for an opinion, and when something comes back that isn't
    > > what you expect, you run off and write something completely
    > > different just to appease some fabled Aunt Tilley, then come
    > > back and say "Ok, how about now?".
    > I honestly don't undestand how this myth got started, Dave.
    > >From my point of view, I have been busting my ass trying to *extract*
    > requirements from Linus and other people with a stake. What guidance
    > I get is vague and contradictory. My proposals to address it get ignored.
    > Everything I do right gets written off and teensy side issues get
    > inflated into monsters.
    > It's utterly maddening to hear people accuse me of not listening when
    > I spend so damn much effort trying to do what they want for so little
    > reward...

    Again... Just like I said to you in private email...

    Show us that you're able to write a 1 for 1 functional correspondance
    between CML1 and CML2 and propose that for inclusion into 2.5. This will
    already have the advantage of using a common engine to parse the config
    language regardless of the frontend used, along with the readability and
    compactness of CML2. This should not cause a too big cultural change.

    Wait for a month or two while developers get used to it. Then and only then
    could you start discussion about advanced CML2 possibilities and features.
    REmember that Linux development only works like a car that you propose
    individual parts individually and let people comment on them. Providing the
    whole car already assembled with a "turn key" package simply doesn't work
    with most car hackers.

    As a bonus to further stimulate acceptance of CML2, make it work with the
    tools that most people already have i.e. Python 1.5.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.027 / U:19.032 seconds]