SubjectRe: funny console prob w/2.4.18-pre[479]+kpreempt+sched-o(1)

On Fri, 2002-02-15 at 11:17, Jorge Nerin wrote:
> Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> > hello *
> >
> > it happens to me regularly that the x server dies without any
> > obvious reason.
>
> I remeber that some time ago, around XFree 4.0 I also had this issues.
>
> > funny thing is, it takes the virtual text consoles with it, which is
> > why i'm posting here.
> >

> Yes, the same issues, now it almost never dies, and if it dies the
> consoles work ok (I'm using FB at 1024x768 and Xfree at 1152x864)

hmm... I had the same problem as the original poster with 4.0, not with
4.1 and rawhides 4.2 XFree86 packages won't even let me start up with
dri+OpenGL (different problem). I will try to rebuild X from source
tonight see if I can garner some insight.
> > i end up in kdm and i can restart x alright, but when i switch vc's,
> > all i see is a frozen image of the x screen. i can switch back to x,
> > and it runs.
> >

> When this happened to me I saw garbage from the X screen from the time
> it died, let's see, X dies, I get dropped to the console (seeing garbage
> colors of the scren) gdm restarts, everything seems ok, but going back
> to the console you see the same garbage as before.

yes, I get/got this too, hasn't happened recently, but then again X
hasn't crashed recently. Another thing (I believe was fbdev related)
was the screwing up of the fonts (! missing the dot at the bottom,
etc.). I believe that was fixed circa 2.4.17/2.5.2 .
> > all tasks i started on the vc's before keep running, the mingettys
> > are there, the bashes are there, and i can even blind-type commands
> > that will run correctly. only the display is messed up.
> > a blind-typed "reset" has no effect.
> >

> I also found that enebling the xv extension in my XFree causes the
> consoles to be lost, but in a different way.
>
> After enabling it and entering X if I switch to a console I see the
> console image, but no matter what I do the console stays the same, as
> you say I can type blindly.
>
> > any clues ?
> > i'm using x version 4.2.0 with a voodoo3 card (dri and agp enabled).
> > this is an smp box with 2 p3/600 katmai.
> > might this be not a kernel issue, but an x11 problem ?
> >

> We have too many things in common to stablish a pattern, I'm using XFree
> 4.2.0, a voodoo 3 2000 pci card, and I also have a smp box, but it's a
> 2x200mmx.
>
> I think it's a X issue by not leaving the console state consitent.

yes, same as above, this is a rather coincidental about the HW configs.
I have a dual celeron (famous bp6 config) with vodoo3 with dri and agp
enabled.
> > best wishes,
> >
> > jörn
> >

> > please keep be cc:ed, i only read lkml archives.
> >

> I'm doing
>

> --
> Jorge Nerin
> <comandante@zaralinux.com>
>
> -

Samuel Stringham
Network Administrator
www.e-sa.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.061 / U:0.512 seconds]