SubjectRe: inspiron 8100 freezing
Date
> Mikael Pettersson:
> > I bet you have CONFIG_SMP or CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC enabled. In that
> > case the hangs on the Inspiron are expected: it's BIOS is buggy.
>
> Ok, what's wrong? Just telling them something is wrong with their BIOS
> doesn't do much good :)

This seems to affect my Latitude C810 with the latest BIOS (A05). When I
flashed to that version my linux system started handing at random spots.
Disabling CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC took care of the hangs, but I also lost all of
my battery status support (the batter would always say unknown).

I downgraded the system back to A04 and everything went back to normal. So
I agree with this question, what's wrong with Dell's BIOS? It seems that
whatever they do to get XP working breaks Linux badly. I could complain,
but I'd need to be specific about what they are actually doing wrong.

Later,
Tom

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.050 / U:11.432 seconds]