SubjectFun with OOM on 2.4.18-pre9
From
I do a make -j bzImage
I have 2 large processes (Kaffe) running in the background. They are
driven by scripts like this:

while true;
do su freenet -c java freenet.node.Main;
done

I have 512MB of RAM and no swap on 2.4.18-pre9.
Kernel eventually slows to a near complete halt, and starts killing
processes.
It kills Kaffe several times
Out of Memory: Killed process xyz (Kaffe)
(no I don't have logs, sorry)
Each time it's a different pid, having respawned from its parent
process. Then later, it apparently becomes unkillable - each time it
respawns it is *the same PID*. VT switching works, but otherwise the
system is unresponsive. It is not clear whether the make -j is still
running. Immediately before this, it did the same thing with dictd, but
eventually got around to Kaffe. After a fairly long wait I rebooted with
the reset switch.

Any more information useful? Is this known behaviour?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.027 / U:2.648 seconds]