    SubjectRe: Quick question on Software RAID support.
    On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > 1) Does the Software RAID-5 support automatic detection
    > > of a drive failure? How?
    > It sees the commands failing on the underlying controller. Set up a software
    Is it supposed to detect a failed disk and *stop* using it?

    I had a raid1 IDE system, and it was continuosly raising hard errors on
    hdc (the disk was dead, non just some bad blocks): the net result was that
    it was unusable - too slow, too busy on IDE errors (a lot of them - even
    syslog wasn't happy).

    Ok, all it took me was to replace the disk, partition it and raidhotadd
    devices. Yet it needed manual intervention. I wish it performed an
    raidhotremove automagically so to run with decent performance...
    even if in "degraded mode". It was RH 2.2.19, so things may have changed

    BTW, given a 2 disks IDE raid1 setup (hda / hdc), does it pay to put a
    third disk in (say hdb) and configure it as "spare disk"? I've got
    concerns about the slave not actually beeing able to operate if the
    master (hda) fails badly.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.021 / U:88.232 seconds]