SubjectRe: 2.4.x ALI IDE strangeness
Bob,

I'm also experiencing strange hangs with DMA on and ALI15x3.
I'm using an ASUS A7A266 motherboard.

Make sure that the BIOS setting of "PNP OS" is off

I can turn DMA on using hdparm, however my system freezes up
if I try some heavy work like a kernel compile.

I'm sure there is a kernel bug here, I'm trying to find
a kernel developer who is interested in investigating it.

Regards. Paul

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 05:32:35PM -0500, bob@dwcs.net wrote:
> When using any 2.4.x kernel, including the very latest one, with my
> Fujitsu Lifebook P which uses the ALI M5229 IDE controller it acts much
> different than when using any 2.2.x kernels that I have tried. When
> using the latest 2.2 kernels and not including specific support for the
> ALI controller the kernel detects the controller and lets me use DMA.
> When compiling in ALI IDE support in either 2.2 or 2.4 kernels the system
> hangs when the controller is detected.
> That isn't really much of a problem in the 2.2 kernels because I can just
> use the generic IDE support. In the 2.4 kernel series though, I can't
> enable DMA. When booting with a 2.4 kernel I get this:
>
> Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
> ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
> idebus=xx
> ALI15X3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 78
> PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:0f.0. Please try using
> pci=biosirq.
> ALI15X3: chipset revision 195
> ALI15X3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> ALI15X3: simplex device: DMA disabled
> ide0: ALI15X3 Bus-Master DMA disabled (BIOS)
> ALI15X3: simplex device: DMA disabled
> ide1: ALI15X3 Bus-Master DMA disabled (BIOS)
>
> Then hdparm absolutely will not let me enable DMA giving me this error:
>
> /dev/hda:
> setting using_dma to 1 (on)
> HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> using_dma = 0 (off)
>

> Changing the PNP OS value in the BIOS to either Yes or No does absolutely
> nothing and using "pci=biosirq" just makes the part that says "Please try
> using pci=biosirq." go away.
>
> However, on accident I discovered if I boot with a 2.2 kernel, reset the
> computer instead of powering off, then boot with a 2.4 kernel it will let
> me enable DMA.
>
> Is there anything I could try to make DMA work with the 2.4 series?
>
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.051 / U:28.048 seconds]