SubjectRe: RFC: /proc key naming consistency
Date
On February 13, 2002 09:07 pm, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Followup to: <20020213030047.8B1FB2257B@www.webservicesolutions.com>
> By author: Mark Swanson <swansma@yahoo.com>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > Notice the space between "cpu" and "MHz", or "cpu" and "family" yet there
> > is no space between "fdiv" and "bug" (_).
> >
> > The reason I think NOT using a space is a good idea because it makes life
> > easier for developers parsing /proc entries. Specifically, Java
> > developers could use /proc/cpuinfo as a property file, but the space in
> > the 'key' breaks java.util.Properties.load().
> >

> When I and Dan Quinlan submitted the cleanup for this we used _
> everywhere. Unfortunately some other people not just added keys with
> spaces, but gracefully "corrected" our "mistakes"...

What do you think about the idea earlier in this thread of going with
shell-parsable key value pairs? I find that idea really attractive, but
there's the issue of breaking utilities (kde control panel?) that already
parse the existing format.

--
Daniel