SubjectRe: How to check the kernel compile options ?
Daniel Phillips <phillips@bonn-fries.net> said:
> On February 12, 2002 05:38 pm, Bill Davidsen wrote:

[...]

> > No trick other than to read what I said in either of the previous posts...
> > the question was not how to avoid having the useful feature, but how to
> > put it somewhere to avoid increasing the kernel size. I suggested in the
> > modules directory, either as a text file or as a module.

> We are in violent agreement, I'm not sure where the misunderstanding came
> from. Yes, the leading idea is to put it in a module. In fact a patch
> exists, though it may have issues, it's been a while since I looked at
> it.

A module can get displaced as easily as a plain text file, and the wrong
"configutarion module" version won't do any good in any case.

Just teach /sbin/installkernel (or arch/i386/install.sh) to stash it away
somewhere. You'll need to fix arch/i386/Makefile to pass the name of
.config to the script (note that it now takes 3 or 4 arguments, to get
backwards compatibility when taking 3, 4 or 5 will be tricky, unless you
play games with the name of the files passed into it to figure out where
.config lives). Or call a new script if it is there and only give that one
.config plus the standard stuff.
--
Horst von Brand http://counter.li.org # 22616