SubjectRe: Linux console at boot
On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, George Bonser wrote:
> Is there any way to stop the console scrolling during boot? My reason
> for this is I am trying to troubleshoot a boot problem with
> 2.4.18-pre7 and I would like to give a more useful report than "it
> won't boot" but the screen outputs information every few seconds and I
> can't "freeze" the display so I can copy down the initial error(s).
>
> This is an Intel unit using the standard console (not serial console).
> pre7 will not boot but pre6 boots every time.

On Amiga (m68k and PPC) we have a `debug=mem' option that will write all kernel
messages to a 256 KiB block (marked with a magic number) of Chip RAM. If the
system crashes early, you can reboot into AmigaOS and run a special utility
that finds the 256 KiB block (Chip RAM is not completely erased on reboot) and
extracts the messages.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds