    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.18-pre9-ac1
    On Tue, Feb 12 2002, Jens Axboe wrote:
    > On Tue, Feb 12 2002, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > > I notice that in linux/drivers/scsi/scsi_merge.c you seem to
    > > > be reverting the MO drive clustering fix from Jens:
    > > >

    > > > Was this intentional? If so, why?
    > >
    > > I want to find out why it was done first and then test it. Leaving it out
    > > will ensure it bugs me until I test it
    > If you leave it out, you surely want to make sure that the other request
    > init and re-init paths agree on the clustering for MO devices. Because
    > they don't.
    > As far as I'm concerned, removing the MO conditional wrt clustering is
    > the right fix.

    BTW, if you are concerned with the write/read vs seek latencies of MO
    drives, then the disable clustering hack was definitely the wrong way to
    try and limit request sizes. In fact it achieved absolutely _nothing_.
    Clustering at this level is completely device independent, too.

    In short, the old code made no sense whatsoever.

    Now, disabling request merging for MO devices might make a whole lot
    more sense. That might be worth while trying, and I'd be happy to give
    you a patch to try that out instead.

    Jens Axboe

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.054 / U:34.140 seconds]