    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.18-pre9-ac1
    On Tue, Feb 12 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > > If you leave it out, you surely want to make sure that the other request
    > > > init and re-init paths agree on the clustering for MO devices. Because
    > > > they don't.
    > No - I want to run a test set with an M/O drive before and after the change
    > and see what it shows in real life. I suspect nothing much.

    That completely ignores that there is a _bug_ there currently. There was
    a reason I removed disabled clustering, you know... 2.4 before the
    change oopses, 2.4.18-preX (forget when Marcelo took the patch) has it

    > > Now, disabling request merging for MO devices might make a whole lot
    > > more sense. That might be worth while trying, and I'd be happy to give
    > > you a patch to try that out instead.
    > I don't think that should be required actually. The killer on M/O disks
    > is seek time, and to an extent rotational latency (its 3 trips round a
    > cheaper M/O disk to rewrite a sector). If anything clustering writes to
    > the same track should be a big win.

    You are probably right. Can't make pigs fly :-)

    Jens Axboe

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.025 / U:134.360 seconds]