SubjectRe: secure erasure of files?
Jan Hudec wrote:

> > I don't know if any filesystem currently relocates blocks if you
> > overwrite a file, but it's certainly possible and allowed (everything
> > else except the filesystem itself simply must not care where the data
> > actually ends up on the disk).
>
> AFAIK, ext2 tries to defragment files when possible.

We wish.

> Thus if the file was
> fragmented and the blocks after some fragment are free, it will use these
> instead of the original ones somewhere far apart.

Nope - if you're overwriting a part of the file which already has
allocated blocks, ext2/3 will use the same blocks.

Of course, the disk itself may decide to go and remap the block
if it decides that part of the media is getting tired.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.110 / U:0.512 seconds]