SubjectRe: glibc is the culprit - Re: vfs.txt and i_ino
At 15:40 12/02/02, Guest section DW wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:04:13PM +0100, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> > > It is probably best to avoid giving real files ino 0.
> >
> > Problem is: It is NOT a real file. It's the '$MFT'. It is normally
> > hidden from userspace, but with a special option it becomes (partly,
> > as we've seen) visible.
>
>But I do not know anything about '$MFT'.

It is basically a normal file with inode number 0 (this is defined in the
ntfs specifications) which contains all metadata concerning all inodes
(including the metadata describing the $MFT itself[1]).

Best regards,

Anton

[1] Yes, this is a circular reference, but the partition's bootsector
contains sufficient information to resolve it unambiguously by pointing you
to the disk sectors containing the metadata for $MFT itself). This is also
why it has to be inode zero, otherwise the resolution of the circular
reference wouldn't work any more.

--
"I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/