SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.18-pre9-ac1
> > > I want to find out why it was done first and then test it. Leaving it out
> > > will ensure it bugs me until I test it
> >
> > If you leave it out, you surely want to make sure that the other request
> > init and re-init paths agree on the clustering for MO devices. Because
> > they don't.

No - I want to run a test set with an M/O drive before and after the change
and see what it shows in real life. I suspect nothing much.

> Now, disabling request merging for MO devices might make a whole lot
> more sense. That might be worth while trying, and I'd be happy to give
> you a patch to try that out instead.

I don't think that should be required actually. The killer on M/O disks
is seek time, and to an extent rotational latency (its 3 trips round a
cheaper M/O disk to rewrite a sector). If anything clustering writes to
the same track should be a big win.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.080 / U:21.872 seconds]