SubjectRe: [reiserfs-dev] 2.5.4-pre1: zero-filled files reiserfs
On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 12:52:27PM +0100, Luigi Genoni wrote:
> I got the same with 2.5.4-pre1 on a ATA66 disk,
> chipset i810, PentiumIII with 256 MBRAM,
> and then on Athlon 1300 Mhz, scsi disk, adaptec
> 2940UW, 512MB RAM.
>
> I saw then just after a reboot.
> Those file has been opened three or four days before the reboot expect of
> .history.
> I got no messages, and, that is the most interesting thing, this
> corruption was just for text file. I also edited some binary file with
> kexedit and them have not been corrupted after the reboot.
was the edited file all the time on reiserfs? I mean, maybe kexedit
uses temporary file on some other fs?

> reiserfsck does not show any corruption, and the HW is good.
> I know it is just a "me too", but i can do every test you need on the
> PentiumIII
Oleg, i may have to give you another set of apologies :) The fs problems
the reiserfsck have found could well be from the old kernels (although
the box crashes very rarely, just because the longest uptime is about 3
hours).

> Luigi Genoni
>
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Oleg Drokin wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 11:07:13PM +0100, Alex Riesen wrote:
> >
> > > hmm.. You're demanding too much(mkreiserfs) - it's my home partition :)
> > At least reiserfsck before any tests is almost mandratory ;)
> >
> > > Maybe the corruptions are from previous kernels, but the zero-files
> > > are observed for the first time, particularly in the .bash_history.
> > Yes, but you said with the patch you cannot reproduce zero files anymore.
> >
> > > Sorry for such a dirty test environment, i was really not prepared.
> > > Logs attached.
> > I am sorry, but there are so many variables, these logs are barely useful as
> > of now.
> > If you can reproduce on a clean filesystem with not faulty hardware, that
> > would be interesting, though.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.121 / U:0.200 seconds]