SubjectRe: thread_info implementation
From
   From: David Mosberger <davidm@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:46:00 -0800

OK, so back to square one: why am I supposed to do all this work for
something that will likely slow things slightly down and, at best,
doesn't hurt performance? The old set up works great and as far as
I'm concerned, is not broken.

It keeps your platform the same, and it does help other platforms.
It is the nature of any abstraction change we make in the kernel
that platforms have to deal with.

So at least we're to the point where you could be convinced that
there are no down sides to the change? Let's go over your list:

1) massive locore assembly changes

ummm no, just put current_thread_info into your thread register

2) pointer dereference causes performance problems

ummm no, not really, go test it for yourself if you don't
believe me

This only leaves "I don't want to do the conversion because it has
no benefit to ia64." Well, it doesn't hurt your platform either,
so just cope :-)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.130 / U:0.016 seconds]