    Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com> said:
    > On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 11:29:58AM +1100, Keith Owens wrote:
    > > That sounds almost like what I was looking for, with two differences.
    > >
    > > (1) Implement the collapsed set so bk records that it is equivalent to
    > > the individual patchsets. Only record that information in my tree.
    > > I need the detailed history of what changes went into the collapsed
    > > set, nobody else does.
    > >
    > > (2) Somebody else creates a change against the collapsed set and I pull
    > > that change. bk notices that the change is again a collapsed set
    > > for which I have local detail. The external change becomes a
    > > branch off the last detailed patch in the collapsed set.
    >
    > This is certainly possible to do. However, unless you are willing to fund
    > this development, we aren't going to do it. We will pick up the costs of
    > making changes that you want if and only if we have commercial customers
    > who want (or are likely to want) the same thing. Nothing personal, it's
    > a business and we make tradeoffs like that all the time.

    I wonder how your commercial customers develop code then. Either each
    programmer futzes around in his/her own tree, and then creates a patch (or
    some such) for everybody to see (then I don't see the point of source
    control as a help to the individual developer), or everybody sees all the
    backtracking going on everywhere (in which case the repository is a mostly
    useless mess AFAICS).
    --
    Horst von Brand http://counter.li.org # 22616